After having been thrown for a loop by the bursting of the tech bubble more than a decade ago, the venture capital industry suddenly has come roaring back to life over the past two years. In 2011 alone, over $7.5 billion in venture capital was invested in more than 966 companies, representing more than a 19% increase over the previous year. A majority of those companies are in the life sciences, Internet, and alternative energy sectors. While this is certainly good news for those industry sectors, the implications of this new wave of venture capital extends far out into the general economy. In today's weak job market, VC is more important than ever, since financing new tech, alternative energy, media, and other small to mid-sized companies is vital to creating new jobs.
This book offers you a golden opportunity to benefit from the experience of one of today's most internationally respected authorities on VC investing and alternative investments. Drawing upon his considerable experience as well as that of other notable investors from around the world, author Lou Gerken fills you in on everything you need to know to take advantage of the new wave of VC investing.
Writing for novice investors and experienced venture capitalists alike, Mr. Gerken explores the venture capital industry's central role in enhancing economic growth and employment, highlighting its historical track record. Then, in plain English, he:
- Clearly explains the ins and outs of venture capital in today's more risk-averse, highly regulated climate
- Offers expert advice and guidance on venture capital exposure and investment options
- Describes proven investment selection, timing, monitoring, and exiting strategies for achieving optimum returns
- Shows you how to spot the most promising investments in both new and emerging industries and economies as well as long-established ones
- Explains how to make venture capital investing an integral part of your overall portfolio management strategy
- Offers proven techniques for using VC investing to significantly enhance portfolio returns while reducing investment risk in bull, bear, and sideways markets
- Supplies real-world examples and case studies of successful (and a few not-so-successful) VC investment strategies across a range of industry sectors
Written by one of today's most listened-to experts on direct investment opportunities globally, this book is your guide to confidently surfing the new wave of VC investing for market-beating returns, year in and year out.